How to create an advance payment expense
A company may wish to provide funds in advance to an employee for e.g. the purpose of a work trip. For this an employee should claim an ‘Advance payment’ type expense. All individual expense items are enforced to be advance payment types. Those will then be handled as positive debts to the expense owner to payment.
Before the trip
Before trip employee claims an Advance payment expense
- Go to: Expenses list view and click New expense
- Set the expense type to Advance payment.
- Add specific expense items for the trip e.g. Airfare, Train, Accommodation OR a single ‘Advance payment’ expense type for the required funds.
- Click Save - Summary page will display all the advance payment expense items. The total of them will display as a positive Outstanding debt in the Debt totals category.
After the trip has been completed create a new expense with type ‘Travel’. We recommend you to copy the Advance payment expense and correct the expense type.
After the trip
After the trip employee copies the expense into a new Travel expense
- Go to: Expenses list view. Find the pre-paid Advance payment expense. Summary view for the expense (click the link under the Purpose column)
- Click Copy - form is created for a new expense including the advance payment items
- Change expense type to Travel (or Other)
- Enter all the actual expense items for the trip (the copied items will be retained as is)
- Click Save - Summary page will list only the actual expense items for the the expense. The advance payment items is shown as a single total in the Debt totals category.
‘Travel’ or ‘Other’ type expenses: Advance payment expense items are handled as negative debts against the actual expense items. The difference will be the outstanding debt owed to the employee.